TikTok Stats Roundup
There’s no denying TikTok’s current popularity! In January 2021, TikTok was the second most downloaded app in the world and 88% of US TikTok users vastly prefer TikTok compared to its competitors! In a recent article, we went over what TikTok is and how it can be leveraged for businesses that are looking to expand their social media strategy. Although we did an extensive amount of research about who the app is targeting, the user base on the app, it’s advertising platform, and how it can be used, we wanted to delve deeper into the statistics surrounding TikTok.
When writing the last article, we had a difficult time finding TikTok statistics and interesting tidbits of information about the app. Everything about it seems to be thinly spread out over the internet! Because of this, we thought businesses that are considering using the app as a part of their social strategy would benefit from a TikTok stats roundup. We know we’ve been considering it and we wanted to have an in-depth resource that speaks to the value of adding TikTok to a brand’s social media strategy.
That being said, we hope this article will give you a look at the bigger picture, the demographic you can target with the app, the behaviour of TikTok users on the app, and help you determine if TikTok is one of the social media platforms you should add to your social media marketing strategy. Without further ado, here is our comprehensive roundup of stats about TikTok!
TikTok Growth Statistics
TikTok’s user base has grown at an exponential rate. To give you a bit of a backstory, a Chinese internet technology company called ByteDance, TikTok’s parent company, initially launched a Chinese version of TikTok called “Douyin” back in 2016. Fun fact – it only took the developers 200 days to develop the app!
ByteDance saw a ton of success with their Douyin app in the Chinese domestic market. Looking to expand, they acquired a similar musical app that was available in the North American market called Musical.ly. ByteDance combined the two apps and launched what became the TikTok app globally in 2017.
Fast forward to the present day, TikTok, and its sister app Douyin (for the Chinese market only) from the parent company ByteDance have been downloaded over a billion times globally. That’s a substantial amount of growth in just three years!
Thanks to the app’s impressive growth, it’s been valued at $50 billion. How many apps or startups do you know of that are worth hundreds of millions within the first few years of operations? It’s more than just silly lip-syncing videos and makeup tutorials – TikTok is the future when it comes to sharing short videos.
Are you wondering how many TikTok users there are? Do you want to know more about the growth of the app? Take a look at these statistics below!
Here are some quick facts about how much the app has grown:
- TikTok is available in 75 different languages (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- The app is now available in 150 global markets (Business of Apps, 2019)
- TikTok has 689 million monthly active users worldwide as of January 2021 (Oberlo, 2021)
- As of April 2021, Tik Tok is the number one downloaded app worldwide and number one in the App Store (Sensor Tower, 2021)
- TikTok was the top-grossing non-gaming app worldwide for February 2021 (Sensor Tower, 2021)
- As of October 2018, the app had hit the 80 million mark for the number of downloads in the United States (The Guardian, 2018)
- The app also had 26.5 million active users in the US in October 2018 (Mediakix, 2019)
- 23% of US internet users have seen TikTok videos or used the TikTok app (influencer Marketing Hub, 2021)
- As of July 2019, TikTok has over 500,000,000 installs on the Google Play Store for Android Devices. (Google Play, 2019)
- According to Google Play Store statistics, the app was downloaded 9 million times in October 2018 alone. (Google Play, 2019)
- Apple users in the United States downloaded TikTok 6.8 million times in March 2020 on iOS devices like the Apple iPhone and iPad from the Apple App Store. (Statista, 2020)
- TikTok was downloaded 68 million times in October 2018, making it the world’s third most downloaded application. (Business of Apps, 2019)
- In China, the Douyin app reports an average of 400 million monthly active users, 50% of which are active daily users. (Technode, 2018)
- For contrast, a similar app, Lasso had 15,000 downloads in January, whereas TikTok gained 6.4 million new users. That’s insane! (Medium, 2019)
- Fast forward to present day, TikTok has hit 2 billion downloads as of Q2 2020 making it one of the most downloaded apps in the world. (Sensor Tower, 2020)
Those are some pretty impressive figures if you ask us! If you think about this in terms of growth trends, TikTok is growing significantly quicker than similar social video sharing apps like Snapchat and Vine. The app had 130 million downloads during its launch year in 2017 and 660 million downloads in 2018. That is a 407% year over year increase in downloads!
TikTok User Statistics
Given that TikTok has a growing user base and a staggering number of global app downloads, you may be wondering what kind of people are using TikTok and where they’re located.
We’ve done some research and determined the TikTok user demographics, including the average age of Tik Tok users, location, and a number of other user characteristics about the vast number of users on TikTok. These TikTok demographics will help you gain a better understanding of the average TikTok user and whether or not TikTok is a good fit for your business and your target audience.
Some Quick TikTok User Stats:
- Statistics show that 66% of all TikTok users are under the age of 30 (Mediakix, 2019)
- More TikTok users are female than male, with 58.8% of user identifying as female (Statista, 2021)
- 37% of TikTok users have a household income of over $100,000 (Marketing Charts, 2019)
- Roughly 43% of TikTok’s user base is located in India (Mediakix, 2019)
- Given that Douyin is used in China, 57% of TikTok users are located outside of China or India (Konstruct, 2019)
- 60% of TikTok’s monthly app users are 16-24 year olds (Mediakix, 2019)
- As of October 2018, TikTok has 500 million monthly users (SCMP, 2018)
- TikTok has been downloaded by 1 in 7 mobile users in Thailand (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- There are 20 million active monthly users in India (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 150 million daily active users in China (TechNode, 2018)
- 28.56% of TikTok users, use TikTok daily (Expanded Ramblings, 2019)
- TikTok’s user engagement rate is 29% (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- TikTok has one of the highest engagement rates per post when compared to other platforms such as Instagram and Youtube (Upfluence, 2021)
- TikTok is being used by 2 million more women (8.2 million) than men (6.1 million) (Marketing Charts, 2019)
- 37% of unique app visitors in the US come from a household with a shared income of $100,000 USD or more (Marketing Charts, 2019)
- TikTok is being used by 1 in 8 adults aged 18-24 in the US. (Marketing Charts, 2019)
TikTok User Behaviour Statistics
Now that we know what kind of users are on TikTok, let’s take a look at what they’re doing with the app. User behaviour statistics on TikTok usage and other metrics can tell marketers and business owners how engaging the app is.
Some Quick TikTok User Behaviour Stats:
- 68% of users watch other user’s videos after logging in (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 63% of users will like a video after logging in (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 63% of users will follow another user after logging in and browsing content (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 55% of users will upload a “TikTok” video after logging in (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 54% of users will leave a comment on someone else’s video they have watched (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 50% of users will share someone else’s video on another social network after watching it (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 43% of users have uploaded a “Duet” video (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 41% of users have uploaded a “React” video (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- TikTok users spend an average of 52 minutes per day on the app (Business of Apps, 2019)
- As of March 2020. users spend on average 858 minutes per month on TikTok. (Statista, 2020)
- US users open the app an average of eight times per day (Mediakix, 2019)
- The average app session duration is 4.9 minutes compared to 3.1 on Instagram. (Mediakix, 2019)
- 90% of users access the app on a daily basis (TikTok, 2019)
TikTok Revenue Statistics
In October of 2018, TikTok was valued at $75m, earning it the title of the world’s most valuable privately held start-up. Investors led by SoftBank invested a total of $3B in the app’s developer, ByteDance, in October 2018. This shows just how much the perceived value of TikTok is.
In terms of generating revenue, TikTok gives users the ability to make in-app purchases for users to purchase unique stickers, AR effects, and coins for $1.39 each. TikTok also has an advertising platform that will be available globally in the near future. Although the app favours large scale advertisements that may not be realistic for most businesses, they can definitely be a valuable way to generate brand awareness for larger brands looking to target a younger demographic.
To determine how much money TikTok is actually making, we did some research and found some interesting stats!
Some Quick TikTok Revenue Stats:
- TikTok makes an estimated $1.4 million per month (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- 42% of its earnings come from the US (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- In-app purchases increased by 275% from 2017 to 2018 (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- $110 Million is the estimated user spending each month on TikTok (Sensor Tower, 2021)
- The 275% increase in in-app purchases netted TikTok $3.5 million (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- TikTok generated $600m in revenue in the first quarter of 2019 alone. (Marketing Charts, 2019)
TikTok Marketing for Businesses
There are a few ways you can build brand awareness and generate more leads for your business by using a TikTok marketing campaign. There’s paid advertisements, content marketing strategies, and TikTok influencer strategies that you can utilize to gain more brand exposure with TikTok users.
To help you get a sense of how you can leverage a TikTok advertising campaign and grow your business, we’ve compiled some great stats about the cost of TikTok marketing campaigns and how they stack up against other social platforms.
Key Stats about TikTok Advertising and Marketing:
- Brand takeover ads cost anywhere between $50,000 – $100,000 (Digiday, 2019)
- Hashtag Challenges cost brands $150,000 (Adweek, 2019)
- When Jimmy Fallon ran his #TumbleweedChallenge, there were over 8000 videos posted with the tag and it generated 9000000 views in just seven days. (Mediakix, 2019)
- TikTok recommends an additional $100,000 – $200,000 in ad spend within TikTok to promote a hashtag challenge (Adweek, 2019)
- TikTok launch screen ads are able to send users to your website, an app page in an app store, or promote your hashtag challenge (TikTok, 2019)
- TikTok video ads can also direct users to your website, an app page, or promote your hashtag challenge (TikTok, 2019)
- Brands are able to create branded AR lenses, filters, and stickers for TikTok users to insert into their video content. (TikTok, 2019)
- 14% of marketers planned to increase their TikTok spend over 2021 (HubSpot)
TikTok Influencer Statistics
Although TikTok and its heightened engagement rates may seem appealing, what brands are getting really excited about is the potential to collaborate with a number of TikTok influencers that have massive audiences and an engaged following. Although Instagram has a great set of tools for brands to collaborate with Influencers and get detailed analytics from a sponsored promotion, Instagram influencers charge a premium rate for the exposure. Because most TikTok influencers are less experienced, there are opportunities for brands to get some serious bang for their buck and reach a massive audience for a reasonable price. To give you a sense of what working with a TikTok influencer would look like, we have rounded up some interesting statistics!
Key TikTok Influencer Statistics for Your Marketing Strategy
- TikTok influencers with 2.5 million followers or more charge around $500-800 per post compared to $100 for every 10,000 followers on Instagram (Telegraph, 2019)
- When their audiences are combined, the top 50 influencers on TikTok have more followers than the populations of Canada, The US, UK, Mexico, and Australia combined. (Mediakix, 2019)
- The top 50 most popular TikTok users are also hitting the 500 million follower mark with their combined audiences. (99 firms, 2019)
- Here are follower stats from the top 5 most popular creators, as of April 2021 (Konstruct, 2021).
- Brands have paid TikTok influencers anywhere from $200 to $20,000 for a branded video depending on the size of the influencer’s audience. (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019)
- The average ROI of working with a TikTok influencer is $6.50 for every $1 spent. (Socialbakers, 2020)
- By selecting the right influencers for their audience, Gym Shark was able to reach 19.8 million TikTok users with an influencer campaign. (Pulse Advertising, 2019)
- TikTok Influencers account for roughly 34.3% of the content that is posted on TikTok. (99 Firms, 2019)
That’s a wrap!
That’s all for now! We’ve searched high and low and to every corner of the internet to create this comprehensive TikTok stats roundup. These are the most recent and relevant statistics that we could find so we could give businesses an opportunity to decide if adding TikTok to their social strategy will be a valuable initiative. We are doing our best to keep this article up to date, accurate, and factual based on the latest statistics and data available.
If you are a social media marketing professional, it’s time to get to know TikTok and get to know it well. With the number of TikTok Downloads climbing each and every day, and the app enjoying a 29% engagement rate like we saw during the glory days of Instagram, it’s worth experimenting with for your social campaigns. It’s not just hype, this is something that could be very impactful in the future and change the social media landscape as we know it. With so many social media platforms becoming pay to play for engagement, social media marketers are having a hard time finding a strong platform for organic growth. TikTok has given us that platform and that very opportunity. It’s leveled the playing field and given more brands an opportunity to go viral than any other social network before it.
The KTeam at Konstruct has grown to be very fond of TikTok. We love jumping on the latest trends for social content and posting our own videos on the app.TikTok may or may not be something that fits well with every business’ social strategy, but for those looking to generate more brand awareness with Millennials and Gen Z’s, the app can pack a serious punch!
If you’re interested in using TikTok for your business and you’re wondering how to get started, we’d be happy to give you some guidance. We’ve been able to create new content that has gained traction on the app and go viral by repurposing old content as well. For all of your social media marketing needs, Konstruct Digital is here to help you further develop your business’ social media strategy and grow your business.
Updated: September 19, 2022